Garden Harvest Bread Recipe!
Yield: Two standard 9″ loaves
Servings: About 18 one inch slices
More nutrition facts in chart at end of post.
3 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt, divided
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
2 cups grated carrot (about 3 large carrots)
1/4 – 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green salad olives
1 cup organic whole grain dark rye flour
2 1/2 – 3 1/2 cups organic bread flour (amount needed varies due to moisture in veggies)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
Olive oil, for greasing the bowl
Serve with plain Greek yogurt and sliced green salad olives.
1. Place the zucchini in a colander and toss with 1 Tbsp of salt. Set aside for five to ten minutes to let the salt draw out the moisture. Once it has sat, squeeze the zucchini to drain out as much excess liquid as possible. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the yeast, sugar, and warm water and let set for ten minutes or until the yeast foamed up around all of the surface area of the water. Turn mixer onto medium-low and add in melted butter, pumpkin puree, zucchini, carrots, olives, bread flour, oregano, 1/2 Tbsp salt, and paprika. If the dough is too sticky to form a ball, add more flour, 1 Tbsp at a time. Switch to the dough attachment and knead on medium speed for five minutes. (I love hand-kneading so I use the mixer only until the dough is manageable by hand, then turn onto lightly floured board and knead 5 minutes or so.)
3. Oil a bowl with olive oil and transfer dough to the bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
4. Grease two loaf pans. Divide the dough into equal halves. Shape and smooth into loaves and place in prepared pans. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for another thirty minutes or until doubled again.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops have browned, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
6. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool.
7. Slice and serve with plain yogurt and sliced green salad olives.
Feel free to copy this recipe.